End the HHS Mandate: Educate. Lobby. Vote. Pray.
Posted by Eric Scheidler (March 30, 2012 at 5:41 pm)
Now that last week’s enormously successful Rally for Religious Freedom is behind us—with over 63,000 Americans taking part in 145 cities from Maine to Hawaii, and literally hundreds of news stories reporting that our fight against the HHS Mandate is about religious freedom—it’s time to look to the future.
We still have a long road ahead to stop the HHS Mandate, but the March 23 Rally creates a strong grassroots foundation to build upon.
My Stand Up Rally co-director Monica Miller and I are carefully planning our next major action in this fight, but in the meantime I want to offer four steps you can take right now to continue your efforts to reverse the HHS Mandate.
As the news reports about last Friday’s Rally showed, many Americans, including many in the press, are confused about what’s really at stake in this controversy. They’ve bought the White House spin that this is some kind of “war on contraception.”
There’s a lot of disinformation out there, but the more people learn about the HHS Mandate, the less they support it.
Every one of us has to help spread the word, and here’s what you can do:
- Download the HHS Mandate Fact Sheet [PDF] and share it with your friends and family.
- Visit and like Stand Up for Religious Freedom on Facebook and invite your friends to do the same.
- Visit this website frequently for the latest news and action alerts on the grassroots fight to reverse the HHS Mandate.
Forget those images of the glad-handing lobbyist exerting undue influence on government figures. You can be a lobbyist—the most effective kind of lobbyist of all.
Lobbying really only means making your wishes about legislation known to your elected representatives and other government officials. There are several ways you can do this, right now:
- Call the Capitol Hill switchboard at 202-224-3121 and tell your Congressman to support HR1179, the Respect for Rights of Conscience Act.
- If you haven’t already done so, sign the Stop the HHS Mandate petition.
- Women: Sign onto Helen Alvare’s Women Speak for Themselves, an open Letter to President Obama and HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius.
- Visit your Congressman in person. Congress is currently not in session. See if you can make an appointment to visit with your Representative and urge him or her to support HR1179, the Respect for Rights of Conscience Act.
This is a pivotal election year. Encourage all your family and friends to register to vote, and then cast their ballots—in both the primaries and the November 6 general election—for candidates who will right to restore the First Amendment’s protection of the free exercise of religion.
I conclude with the most important step of all.
We’re fighting for religious freedom—the freedom to exercise our FAITH in the public square.
So let us faithfully pray for all our political leaders, starting with President Obama, that they will restore religious liberty in this great nation.